Thursday, January 25, 2007

Madame Mirela Foquois


Mirela lounged on the roof with her feet propped on the edge. Dusk was steadily setting in, but her glass of wine was still half full and what was the point of drinking if not to enjoy it and take it all in.

Her lips formed a half smile as she watched the street lamps flicker on and make the streets glow orange. Behind her the pigeons took flight leaving downy feathers floating in the crisp air.

As she finished her glass of wine, her hairs began to stand on end. She turned to leave , but the cage door clanged open and the doves flew in her face chasing away the rest of the sunset's peace.

She ran inside to escape her feeling of unrest when she ran head on into Pokey.

"Oh, sorry," Mirela gasped.

"Uh, um, it's fine. I, uh, I just wanted to return your bag, but you weren't home, so I came to feed Ms. Keller's birds." Pokey explained haultingly.

"Thank you, I almost forgot about that." Mirela said as she reached for the bag in Pokey's outstreched hand.

"Um, I'm not sure how to ask this." Mirela ventured causiously, but Pokey only looked confused.

"But do you know of anything. . .bad happening up here." Mirela finished.

"When I first moved here, my mom told me to stay away from the roof. Some girl tried to fly away with the birds." Pokey explained.

1 comment:

Lauren S. said...

I really like the end of it.. it seems like something that Pokey would say.. very simple and not very revealing because his mama wouldn't tell him the truth.